Healthier Lemon Meringue Tart
When you receive a bucketload of lemon's from a family lemon tree you, of course, make lemon tart!!!
Instead of a pastry tart, I've used an olive oil and oat base topped with a honey lemon curd. The curd is tart, but sweet, and goes SO well with the crispy meringue top.
I've used at least 50% less sugar and butter in this recipe than standard lemon tarts, but I'd still go easy on how many pieces you have! Whilst it is healthier in comparison (only 194cals), it's still not an everyday food!
1 cup oats
1/2 cup wholemeal flour
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp rice malt syrup
4 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
57g unsalted butter
1/3 cup honey
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest
4 egg whites
1/2 cup caster sugar
1. Preheat an oven to 180c. For the base blend the oats in a blender or food processor until it's completely fine like flour.
2. In a bowl, mix together the oat flour, wholemeal flour, oil and rice malt syrup. Press the mixture into a lined slice tin and bake for 12 minutes.
3. For the lemon curd use an electric beater to combine the honey and butter in a medium-sized bowl. Slowly add the eggs whilst continuously beating the mixture. Then mix in the lemon juice and zest. (note: it will look a bit curdled here, but don't stress)
4. Add the lemon mixture to a medium-sized sauc[an and cook over medium-low heat while stirring constantly (don't stop stirring!!) You want the lemon to slowly heat up and become thick, it will take somewhere between 10 to 20 minutes. It will also thicken more as it cools.
5. In a medium-sized bowl using an electric beater whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add in the castor sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form
6. Put the lemon curd on top of the base and add the meringue on top of the curd. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Cal: 194 Protein: 4.9g Carbohydrates: 24.1g Fat: 8.0g