Healthy Hedgehog Slice
Hedgehog reminds me of my childhood, cooking with Mum on the weekends and sneaking pieces of chocolate every time she wasn't looking
This recipe is a little different to the ones we used to make, for one it is very allergy-friendly being gluten and dairy-free, and secondly, it is a lot less calorie-dense. This isn't always an important aspect as regular hedgehog slice can definitely fit into a balanced diet, but if weight loss is your goals or you're trying to fit as much food as you can into your energy budget, this is great!! I hope you like it
Serves 12, GF DF VN
1 cup walnuts
1/2 cup pitted dates
1/4 cup oats (or shredded/flaked coconut)
2 tbsp rice malt syrup (or similar sweetener)
2 tbsp cacao powder
1 1/2 cups puffed rice
75g dark chocolate (Lindt 70% is DF)
1. Soak the dates in hot water for 5 minutes and then drain.
2. In a blender, combine the walnuts, drained date’s, oats, rice malt syrup, and cacao. Blend until your desired consistency (I like it a bit chunky still)
3. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the puffed rice.
4. Press the mixture into a lined slice tin, very firmly.
5. Melt the dark chocolate, either in the microwave or using the double boiler method, and pour over the slice.
6. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours before cutting into 12 pieces