High Protein, Vegetarian Baked Gnocchi
Lately, I have been eating predominantly vegetarian or pescetarian based meals. For no other reason than I'm just really enjoying them and am inspired to create more vegetarian recipes! So here we have a delicious winter warmer dinner recipe, baked gnocchi!
Whenever I see Gnocchi on a restaurant menu, 9 times out of 10 it's what I'll order. I just absolutely love gnocchi! It's my two loves in one, potato + pasta (YUM!)
I have bulked this recipe up with lots of veggies to 1 fill us up and 2 create a more nutritiously balanced meal. They are cut/blended up teeny tiny so that it's picky eaters and children friendly!
The source of protein is cottage cheese, which I hadn't used in a baked recipe before so I wasn't sure how it would turn out. Safe to say, I'll definitely be using it again! Very delicious
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 brown onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
200g cherry tomatoes
500ml tomato passata
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/3 cup water
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 fresh basil, chopped
120g baby spinach
500g packet of gnocchi
500g high protein cottage cheese (I used Bulla)
1/3 cup shredded/grated cheese
1. Heat a large frying pan over medium to high heat. Add the olive oil, garlic and onion and saute until soft and lightly browned.
2. In a food processor or by using a grater, blend/grate the carrot, zucchini and cherry tomatoes. Add the vegetables to the pan and cook for a further 3-5 minutes. The vegetables should be soft. Meanwhile, boil a saucepan of water for the gnocchi
3. Add the passata, water, basil, tomato paste, salt and pepper to the vegetables. Simmer for roughly 10 minutes until the sauces thicken slightly and then stir through the spinach.
4. Cook the gnocchi according to the packet instructions, drain, and then add to the sauce.
5. Heat the oven grill to high. Transfer the gnocchi and sauce to a heatproof casserole dish and cover with the cottage cheese and shredded cheese. Then, place under the grill for roughly 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and lightly browned.
Cal: 460 Protein: 27.8g Carbs: 53.1g Fat: 12.3g